Day of Service
UUSG's Annual DAY OF SERVICE 2018
Saturday, April 7, 2018
Thank you to everyone who participated in the April 7 Annual Day of Service! We had 180 church members and friends helping to make the event a success - promoting practical goodness in the world and strengthening our UUSG community. Some key accomplishments:
- 75 volunteers visited the Northern Illinois Food Bank and packaged 26,745 lbs of potatoes, fruits, vegetables, and food for the children's food backpack program.
- 23 efficient packers assembled 136 Senior Gift Bags for Humanitarian Service Project. The congregation donated approximately $2,000 for this effort and area businesses contributed about $150 more.
- 17 lively partygoers played BINGO with area senior citizens at Bria Health Services of Geneva.
- 6 dedicated people worked in 18 degree weather to spruce up the fence area around Mutual Ground and to hang a sign promoting Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
- 6 artistic children created cards for sick children in hospitals.
- 16 nature lovers created cards for Project Snowfall, thinking about the "interconnected web of which we are a part."
- 24 shoppers donated paper products for low-income seniors.
- 13 creative souls provided lovely School Supply kits for disadvantaged children.
- 2 helpful volunteers transported a truckload of paper products, School Supply kits and Senior Gift Bags to Humanitarian Service Project.
- 1 thoughtful volunteer who is creating welcome bags for new immigrant families using the extra toiletries and items from the Senior Gift Bag project.
- Dozens of people attended an inspiring worship service.
- 21 gracious volunteers put on a lovely dinner for 82 hungry volunteers!